Thursday, August 5, 2010

Telia = Incompetence

I have never in my life experienced such idiocy.  This could be a super long blog, but I'm going to try to get the cliff notes version.

Our new apartment in Torshälla doesn't have cable already in the building.  Just antennae.  So we have to arrange our own cable.  And since the cable doesn't come into the building, most companies won't offer us service.  So we have to get our cable through the internet via only 2 company options (Telia or Boxer), or via satellite (and the equipment is super expensive).

Here's the kicker.  To get tv through the internet, you have to have your internet through that company.  So it kind of ends up having to be a package deal.  So we decided to sign up with Telia for phone, tv, and internet all through DSL.  Here in Sweden you have to give your utility companies 3 months notice if you plan to terminate.  At first we were just going to move the, but then that wasn't an option.  So the month before moving, my boyfriend calls and gives everyone notice (since he had 3 different companies for all 3 different utilities).  Well Telia says they'll handle the switch over, and we can get our boxes before we move so we can connect them ourselves we get into the apartment (as we were moving over a holiday weekend).  Yeah. FAIL!!!

First, no boxes.  Second, just about everything told to us when we signed up with them proved to be false.  Third, every person we spoke to on the phone over the course of about 5 weeks told us a completely different story, reason, date, excuse, etc.  Then we got our boxes (3.5 weeks AFTER moving), and they forgot the box for our second tv, and the box for our first tv doesn't work.  So we got a non-functioning HD record box and a modem.  The following week we get our replacement box (still missing box for 2nd tv but arrives a few days later), and they haven't switched over our phone from a land line to internet line.  So we get a bill for a phone line that we didn't order (which was 3x as much money).  Then the next day they switch over the phone to internet, but every time the phone rings or your pick it up to make a phone call the tv stops working and then the modem reboots itself.  Are you freaking kidding me?!?!!?  Well last week (1 week after having the new replacement box), there is an issue and the tv stops working.  I talk to 5 people over 2 days about getting it fixed and each person I speak to tells me a different thing, gives me a different reason for the outage, and then one tells me they need to send us ANOTHER box to replace the 1 week old HD recordable box.  Turned out to be a software issue that was fixed after 10 mins on the phone!!!

So I've pretty much been the one handling all of this crap for the last month or so.  My boyfriend is quite passive and isn't much for making a stink about things.  So every time I had to call I asked to speak to a manager, only to be told there are no managers there.  Say what?!?!!?  Well I end up getting a number to a complaint line, speak to them, get connected to their compensations department (bet your sweet ass there's going to be some compensating going on!).  So I deal with this nice gentleman who does his best to speed things along.  Been dealing with him for about 3 weeks now.  We are getting a decent financial compensation and we get a bit longer then normal to test out the company and see if we want to switch.

Now, this is the short version, trust me it was a lot worse then just one paragraph.  So, most of you are already probably thinking CHANGE COMPANIES!  That's what I've been saying, but my boyfriend doesn't want to switch to boxer because the channel selection sucks and they are more expensive.  I suggested switch to satellite tv and keep the phone and internet with Telia (as those haven't had too much of a problem).  But we have to pay for the equipment up front (approx 3500 kr or approx. 500 usd) and again might increase the monthly bill.

The good news is so far this week there hasn't been any major issues.  Or even minor ones for that matter.  But when I was speaking with the guy from the compensations department I asked him if they actually trained their employees and for how long.  Because I have never seen such incompetence in all my life.  And no, it's not a call center in Dubai or something.  I mean, they can see our file on the computer screen, and all remarks made by the previous people we talked to, and yet every single time we spoke to someone we got completely different and contradictory answers and remarks.  It was astonishing to say the least.  Well the guy said they do train them for 3 weeks.  Perhaps thats not long enough.  Total lack of consistency.

So the end result.  We went about 3-3.5 weeks without any internet or tv in our new apartment.  And then spent another 1-1.5 weeks having issues with one or all 3 of the utilities via Telia.

So I'm going to give them 2 thumbs down.  I even tried talking to Sweden's largest newspaper about running an article on their customer care and incompetence.  Only to read in the paper the following week about how Telia reported record high Q2 profits.  Only god knows why!

If your reading this in Sweden and looking for a company to switch to for your home services, don't bother with Telia unless your ready for a massive headache!

-FXA

3 comments:

Stop TeliaSonera Corruption Network! said...

this is a common practice wherever these guys does business. I'm not in Sweden but have been "enjoying" the same service level. The monopolies don't like individuals they love millions of widely open pockets, they like if those pockets have no brains and never count their moneys. who needs these stupid global infrastructures? It's even worse with their business outside Sweden, however the overall "success" guaranteed by mutual friendship with local authorities, the friendship tat is a foundation of large scale corruption and bribery. The only question I have is WHY the Swedish government, the principal owner of this questionable business, is tolerating to this corruption and bribery?

Jacob_M said...

The problem is, their competitors are even worse. I use Bredbandsbolaget via fible-optics. I've no choice but to use them if I want the speed of (their) fibre-optics so that's what I use. I've had their reps lie outright when internet was down for a week here (twice in 12 month. They told us that a cable had been dug off during some construction (a lie), they told we (our brf) had broken their equipment causing service to go down in the neighbourhood. They tried to charge us (brf) outregeously since the ten year warranty was out - they installed the fible optics in our building five year ago.

Compensation? Yea, but "...sorry, I can't do that, I'll switch you to the person you're supposed to talk to for that...". This ended me in a new phone que. And "...sorry, I can't do that, I'll switch you to the person you're supposed to talk to for that..." This was repeated three times until the forth person (more than an hour later) was able to offer compensation. Or well...since my internet and phone-line was down for seven days he was able to grandly offer to deduct seven days of service cost for my bill. One of the requirements for getting this "compensation" was that you had called and complained when your service (including land-line) went down. I spent a couple of hours on my cell phone speaking to these clowns and was compensated by not having to pay for the service I didn't get. Most of the people in my building figured it was cheaper to not ask for compensation. Telia might suck in your case, but terms of compensation they're always much much better than companies like bredbandsbolaget. This was not an isolated case. Glocalnet is a subsidiary of Bredbandsbolaget btw. And both are a subsidiary of the Norwegian former monopoly Telenor. And yes, to "compensate" this clownoperation I do take every chance I get to trashtalk this company.

Oh, and I have used Telia before my fibre-optic days. And Glocalnet. My longest wait with telia during a call to support was pretty long too. Long enough that I could put down the phone and go for a burger while I waited. I think I was something like tenth in line once I got back. Perfect.

Jacob_M said...

Oh, to clarify: "they told we (our brf) had broken their equipment causing service to go down in the neighbourhood."

...should be "they told our neighbouring brf's that we (our brf) had broken their equipment causing service to go down in the neighbourhood"

Post a Comment