Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Misc. Stuff

Okay, so I'll be honest, I don't know what I'm actually planning to write about here.  I just know it's been weeks, and I'm past due.  I guess I could do a misc. Sweden blog?

1.  It's election time again.  Every 4 years the parliament is up for grabs.  And this is the lucky year.  I don't know much else other than that.  I can't vote yet.  Need to be a citizen.  But what I have learned is so far Sweden has a substantially higher voter turn out rate then in the states.  Something like 90-95% of the population comes out to vote.  My boyfriend isn't into politics at all.  But when I ask him if he is going to vote, he says "most likely".  I'm not sure the turn out is such a great thing if many are like my boyfriend and don't care.  But it is nice to see people attempting to take an interest and take part.

2.  Driving in Sweden.  Holy crap is a license here expensive!!!  My American license was good here for 1 year, and after that I had to get a Swedish license to drive.  And most cars here are stick shift.  Well like many modern Americans, I grew up driving an automatic.  So, I need to learn how to drive manual.  I learned 15 years ago, but never used it.  Here's the thing, both me and my authorized driver (my boyfriend Nick) have to go to a class (which is only in Swedish) to get approved for a learner's permit.  Then once that's done, I have to study a book about the rules, and practice driving.  Somewhere along the way I have to take an alcohol class and get an eye exam done.  Once I feel ready, I can go ahead and take the written test.  When I finally pass that I have 2 months to take and pass the practical driving test as well as the hazardous road condition test (mainly for icy roads).  Once all of that is paid for and passed I get a license.  I may have missed a step somewhere, but ugh my brain is already hurting.  Oh and did I mention all of this stuff adds up?  Especially if I end up taking any classes at the driving school.  It's just insane!!  But I've got time to worry about it.  :)

I think I'm going to end this one here.  I promise I'll try to write more.  I have several things to write about this week.  Lots of updates!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actaully to vote in the local and regional election you don't need to be a citizen it is enough to have lived in Sweden for three years. But I guess you are getting citizenship as sson as you can (whcih should eb after three years) so it is probably a moot point for you. :)

Jinx said...

Oh awesome! Thanks for clearing that up for me. :) It's a shame the elections are this year though. Oh well, in 4 years I'll get to vote! lol

Post a Comment