Saturday, May 8, 2010

This years attempt at indoor gardening

As I live in apartment in Sweden, my best option for growing things is in the window.  We do have a balcony but as it's way too cold here most of the year (summer is like end of June till end of august), I can't really grow much out there.  Or the time frame for growing is too short.  Last year I attempted to grow onions, carrots and green onions out on the balcony.  Yeah, my carrots grew to about 2 inches long.  lol.  Failed!

So this year I'm going a different route, and keeping everything inside.  We even bought one of those seed starter boxes to mimic a greenhouse kind of environment to help the seeds stand a better chance of me not killing them. Did I mention I have never really been able to grow much in all my years at attempting to be a gardener.  I guess I just wasn't born with a green thumb.  So what the hell, lets try again.  If at first you don't succeed try try again, right?

So on this years attempt list, we have......

Herbs
  1. Rosemary
  2. Parsley
  3. Dill
  4. Chives
  5. Basil
Vegetables
  1. Sugar snap Peas
  2. Green Beans
  3. Chili "Apache" Peppers
  4. Green Onions (2nd times a charm?)
  5. Radishes
I bought mostly seeds, but I did buy the chili and rosemary already as a plant.  Everything else is starting from scratch.  We started off by planting all the seeds in seed soil.  Some we put directly into the pot they were meant to grow up in.  Some we planted in the seed started box, and some we planted in both (such as the chives and green onions).  I also pre-soaked the green bean seeds and the parsley seeds for 2 days.



Everything was started on Monday May 3, 2010.  It's only been 5 days and already we've got little babies growing!!!  It makes me so excited!  So far nothing is dead, I think.  Which means I'm already off to a good start!
    From left to right:  Unmarked is green beans that were pre-soaked, then green beans that weren't pre-soaked, basil, chives, green onions, and then sugar snap peas.




    Left:  Chili "Apache" Pepper Plant


    Right: Radishes


    So there are my little babies.  I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful garden!  We are moving into a bigger apartment this summer, and I'm hoping if these all turn out to be successful, then I can expand and grow more things at the next apartment.  As the babies grow, I'll continue to update on their success or my failure.  Haha.


      0 comments:

      Post a Comment