Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gluten-Free Sourdough Bread

Woohoo!! Kudos to me for not making a total failure!

I just made 2 loafs of "sourdough" bread, gluten-free of course.  I got the recipe out of a gluten-free swedish cookbook.  I'm not sure if this is exactly how it was supposed to be, but I do think it turned out alright.  I'm not the biggest bread eater to begin with, so i'm not the best judge.

I did start off by making a sourdough starter.  I used yeast, GF Flour, and water.  This particular recipe did not say anything about needing to feed the starter.  So I didn't do that.  To the left is my starter, after 3 days in a plastic tub w/cover.

Even though I was sure I totally screwed it, as it smelled so foul and looked so loose, I kept on with the recipe.  And here (to the right) is the dough sitting in the bowl attempting to rise.  Which it did, pretty much double in size.

The recipe is actually for 2 loaves of bread, so after an hr of rising, I went ahead with the kneading process and then divided it into 2 pieces and formed.

And let them sit and rise for another 30 mins.

After that, popped them in the overn for 30 mins to bake.  I did get the harder outside crust.  And I found the inside to be rather soft.  It didn't crumble to pieces upon slicing or holding, which I think is always a major plus when dealing with gluten free baked goods.  I thought the consistency was perfect for gluten-free bread.  The outside didn't really color much.  I notice that seems to be rather common with gluten-free breads.  So if your looking for the darker toasted outside, keep wishing.  lol.



Ratings (out of 5)
Ease of making: 3/5
Taste: 3.5/5 (Again, I'm not the best judge, as I'm not a big fan for bread)
Consistency: 4/5
Overall:  3.5/5

If anyone is insterested in having this recipe, I will be happy to do a blog post with a translation of the recipe.

Happy Blogging All!

-FXA


0 comments:

Post a Comment